I'm putting together a few things I've heard today, and that's the scenario I'm coming up with. I'll lay out a few facts, and see if you don't agree.
1. Ottawa is the host team for the draft and the host team always likes to make a big splash.
2. Ottawa recently went on record saying they wanted to move into the top 10.
3. Ottawa just hired a new coach and is looking to shake things up on the roster.
4. Los Angeles holds the No. 2 pick, but does not have a strong preference on a player. They are willing to move.
5. New Ottawa coach Craig Hartsburg is a huge Drew Doughty fan. This spring he called him "the best defenseman in junior hockey." Doughty is projected to go No. 2 or 3.
6. LA beat writer Rich Hammond said today that he has a hunch something big is about to happen with the Kings.
Ottawa holds the No. 18 pick, but roster help, in the form of an established but still young defenseman, could likely be heading LA's way. Dean Lombardi has said he's already turned down offers for the pick, but isn't that what you'd say if you were trying to drive up the price?