Saturday, April 12, 2008

Cold, with snow possible

Chicago has only two seasons: winter and the Fourth of July.

-- Lewis Grizzard, humorist and former sports editor of the Atlanta Journal and Chicago Sun-Times, who later wrote a book called If I Ever Get Back to Georgia, I'm Going to Nail My Feet to the Ground.


Grizzard was a native Georgian, and while I am not, I admit freely that one of the main reasons I ended up in Atlanta was for the weather. Yesterday it got up to 82 degrees there. This afternoon when I landed at O'Hare, the pilot warned that it was 37 and might snow. So far it's still raining. But the day's not over.

In Atlanta, the world is warm and yellow (from the high pollen count, for you northerners). Packing my suitcase I had to retrieve winter clothes I had already put away for the year. I give that a big thumbs down.

I'm in town to catch a couple Wolves games, naturally. I'll have some blog updates as we go, and then some longer articles later.

For now we'll end on this note, a funny Grizzard quote I found along with the one above:

Grizzard's advice to Atlantans in case of nuclear war: "If you live on the South side of Atlanta, get on I-75 and go south. If you live of the North side of Atlanta get on I-75 and go north. If you are a Yankee, get on 285."

1 comment:

WolfKeeper said...

Ask anyone in Chicago what the two seasons are and they'll tell you winter and construction.

Although it's quickly becoming construction year-round.